Over the last 2 years, public utilities have focused significant attention on becoming more competitive. To achieve this competitiveness, utilities are implementing many innovative practices, such as optimization, gainsharing, employee empowerment, and automation. Utility managers have the opportunity to apply private sector tools in the public sector. The key questions are which tools are appropriate and how can these tools be implemented within a different context. This paper describes fundamental private sector tools that enable utilities to become world class utilities. The classic business planning process and structure are used to show how to develop a logical action plan that will provide the highest value. The value chain provides a construct to gain organizational alignment. Results of the planning process will provide out-of-the-box solutions for utilities. Expanding from core competencies, some utilities are taking over management of other utilities. Some are expanding their excellence in customer service to manage customer service in other public services. Input from customers is providing insight to utilities on what their customers truly want and are willing to pay for.
October 23, 2018
Smarter, efficient utilities realized via real-time business intelligence
January 4, 2018
California Urban Water Agencies’ newly released paper provides an understanding of the impacts of declining system flows and how utilities ...
January 24, 2017
Richard Bay, GM, and Alan Packard, Assistant GM, Jordan Valley Water Conservancy District
January 24, 2017
How Jordan Valley uses effective utility management principles
November 22, 2016
A technological overhaul improves a wastewater treatment plants efficiency for years to come
August 30, 2016
Does your water utility have a culture of customer service?
May 3, 2016
How many operators does it take to run your facility? A look at the trends
March 15, 2016
Fresh approaches help water utilities be better stewards of infrastructure
- Effective Utility Management in a Digital World
- Smart Utility as a Technology Platform: Setting the Course to Become a Smart Utility
- Evaluation of Short-Term Biosolids Management Options in Response to a Settlement Agreement
- What are Useful Membrane Technology Applications for Power Plant Water Treatment and Reuse?
- Guidelines for Using Stainless Steel in the Water and Desalination Industries
- The Pitfalls and Promise of Ecological Screening Values
- Approaches to the Development of Human Health Toxicity Values for Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients in the Environment
- Planning for Future Droughts — Lessons Learned at Water Resource Recovery Facilities
- There’s More to Chemical Precipitation for Phosphorus Removal than Meets the Eye
- The Right Tools for Process Control