Brown and Caldwell Home Page

Brown and Caldwell engineers and scientists are technical and thought leaders in the environmental sector. Meet the people who have been advancing innovation for more than 70 years.
Author      Title/Abstract      

Microconstituents: What to Expect in Your Permit
Author: Sarah Reeves and Peter Littlehat
Date: 7/111
WE&T, May 2011, pp. 46-51

Microconstituents are beginning to make their way into discharge permits in the United States. Removal of microconstituents often requires tertiary treatment, and utilities are interested to know what permit limits they might expect in the future as they plan for capital improvements. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) currently is focusing on developing methods to determine the endocrine-disrupting impact of particular compounds. EPA has developed some criteria for endocrine-disrupting compounds (EDCs), but the states have been slow to turn these criteria into standards, and their inclusion into permits is much slower. While several states are moving forward with developing standards for diazinon, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), nonylphenol, atrazine, and tributyltin, permit holders probably will not see EDCs in permits in the near future.

This library contains published materials for which copyrights may be owned by entities other than Brown and Caldwell, but which are stored for limited uses by BC employees. Technical papers authored by BC employees generally may be printed and shared electronically with clients and prospective clients outside BC. Technical papers cannot be sold, and technical papers shared outside BC must have proper attribution of the original sponsoring organization or conference where the paper was presented. This attribution is embedded in each technical paper file when it is loaded into this library. Published articles from magazines or trade journals which are stored in this library are FOR INTERNAL USE ONLY and SHOULD NOT be distributed to clients or others outside BC, without express permission of the copyright owner. For questions regarding copyrights associated with any document in this library, or questions regarding copyrights in general, contact the Legal Department.