Brown and Caldwell Home Page

Brown and Caldwell engineers and scientists are technical and thought leaders in the environmental sector. Meet the people who have been advancing innovation for more than 70 years.
Author      Title/Abstract      

Recovery and Recycling of Spent Acids in the Metals Processing Industry
Author: Dhiru Patel, Steven J. Pratt

Many companies generate large amounts of concentrated acid wastes. Facilities which process metals are very concerned about this problem. A typical process is that of a steel finishing company's pickling line. In a typical line, the iron oxides are removed from the steel in hydrochloric (HCl) or sulfuric (H2SO4) acid pickling baths. Then the processed steel from the pickle baths is washed in rinsing baths to remove excess acid and wash away the salts. Spent pickling bath acid (saturated with salts) is generally sent to a storage tank for eventual transportation to an offsite treatment or disposal facility. The acidic rinse water is usually stored separately and treated by precipitation processes prior to discharge to the sanitary sewer.

This library contains published materials for which copyrights may be owned by entities other than Brown and Caldwell, but which are stored for limited uses by BC employees. Technical papers authored by BC employees generally may be printed and shared electronically with clients and prospective clients outside BC. Technical papers cannot be sold, and technical papers shared outside BC must have proper attribution of the original sponsoring organization or conference where the paper was presented. This attribution is embedded in each technical paper file when it is loaded into this library. Published articles from magazines or trade journals which are stored in this library are FOR INTERNAL USE ONLY and SHOULD NOT be distributed to clients or others outside BC, without express permission of the copyright owner. For questions regarding copyrights associated with any document in this library, or questions regarding copyrights in general, contact the Legal Department.